Monday 26 October 2009

Hussein Chalayan

Hussein Chalayan may, in fact, be my biggest fashion and textile inspiration. It's not because he creates beautiful designs or fashionable garments - as do many. But I think to him it is more than just a fashion garment. To him it is art. Or maybe I should say, to me it is art.

I visited his exhibition in the Design Museum in London last Easter, and have been meaning to some how document my opinions of him ever since.

Hussein Chalayan is possibly the most famous designer in terms of experimentation - clothes which turn into tables, chairs that transform on the model. I visited his exhibition a month ago and was beyond inspired - his passion and curiosity and ambition to change clothes and fashion into something of an art form.

The exhibitions included 'Afterwords', which I absolutely loved, and 'Airborne', where Hussein Chalayan uses the latest LED technology to fashion design with a specatcular dress consisting of crystals and 15,000 flickering LED lights. His work crosses between architecture, design, philosophy and anthropology, science and technology.


If you haven't already guessed, I want to BE him.

No comments:

Post a Comment