Wednesday 2 December 2009

Fame cannot come without publicity and publicity does not come without fame.


Hmm. Just now, I was facebook chatting to a guy that I grew up with and we came onto the subject of my blog. I asked him whether he'd follow me, as I need followers... the more the merrier and the better my course grade! He replied that he doesn't follow blogs, and that I'm clearly seeking fame. But I've never wanted to be famous. There's always an itch for fame, but only from when I was younger - I'm definitely over that stage now. I just couldn't be bothered with it, it doesn't appeal to me... But he said that I was after publicity, and I guess I am, having a blog and all...but I don't think that by seeking publicity I'm after fame. He left me with this point: 'Fame cannot come without publicity and publicity cannot come without fame.' I get that fame cannot happen without publicity, but surely there is unsuccessful publicity and that does not equal fame. Someone like Tavi Gevinson is now famous through her blog, and through her publicity. But think about all the X Factor rejects, who had major publicity but have no fame now. At all. But then they did have fame at one point.
I don't know really, but what I do know is that I don't want to be famous. Thats not my aim in this blog. My aim in this blog is to find inspiration and process my thoughts (as stated in my about me) and tell people who care about stuff. However, the industry that I'm directing towards could result in fame (if successful) and I most certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. So maybe, I don't want to be a celebrity, but I do want to be known.

I don't think I concluded my point very well, and I don't think I really made a point. But hopefully you can write your opinions on the quote - I'm intrigued by it. In order to make this blog more interesting, I've attached a picture of Marilyn Monroe - who is ridiculously famous. I love this picture - I've put it up next to my mirror, with many more amazing photos from magazines and cards and polaroids of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment